Tennessee Citizen Action Leads Poll Watching Collaboration in Davidson County
Nashville, Tenn. (November 5, 2012) — Tennessee Citizen Action, along with many other organizations and concerned citizens, have launched a large Poll Watching initiative to protect the vote in Davidson County, TN.
Over one hundred and sixty volunteers have been trained as non-partisan Poll Watchers and on Election Day will fan out to protect the vote in voting precincts across the County.
The trained Poll Watchers are not out in the field on their own. A Command Center has been set up and will be open from 6 am until the polls close. The Command Center will be staffed with election law experts who will be available to assist in any way and help Poll Watchers do their job of protecting the franchise.
In addition, a local hotline number has been set up for anyone who experiences problems while voting. The hotline number is 615-852-5525.
“This is participatory democracy at its finest,” said Mary Mancini, executive director of Tennessee Citizen Action, “the volunteers who have trained to be Poll Watchers understand that we all have a responsibility to safeguard our elections. This effort is driven by motivated citizens coming together to do just that.”
The Poll Watching Collaborative effort has been created and designed as a model that can be rolled out to the other 94 counties in Tennessee during future elections.
Participating organizations include:
- American Civil Liberties Union of Tennessee
- The American Constitution Society for Law and Policy – Vanderbilt Chapter
- Conexion Americas
- CWA Local 3808
- Law Students for Social Justice – Vanderbilt Chapter
- Lawyers’ Committee for Civil RIghts
- League of Women Voters Nashville
- L Club
- NAACP – Nashville Branch
- Nashville Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
- Nashville for All of Us
- National Council of Negro Women – Middle Tennessee Section
- Nashville Metropolitan Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Chapter
- Planned Parenthood of Middle and East Tennessee
- Sierra Club – Middle Tennessee Group
- Tennessee Citizen Action
- Tennessee Immigrant And Refugee Rights Coalition
- Tennessee Transgender Political Coalition
- UAW 737
HAPPY ELECTION DAY!