Say No to Cuts to Earned Benefits. Say Yes to Raising Taxes on the Over $250K Club.
“Fiscal Cliff” this. “Budget Showdown” that. The less-hysterical reality is, the Election is over and now Congress and the President have some huge decisions to make. Decisions between two very different visions for how to address our nation’s problems. And it’s our future – our nation’s and our families’ future – that’s at stake.
On the one side, there are those who are pushing more of the same: more taxbreaks for those making over $250K; bigger loopholes for huge corporations that cut wages and ship our jobs overseas. And tougher times for families who are trying to make ends meet.
On the other side are those of us who understand that working families and the middle-class are the engine of the economy. That the economy moves forward when people have good jobs, can educate their kids, shop on Main Street, afford their health care and retire in security.
We’re at this crossroads because Congress kept pushing big decisions down the road. But if Congress doesn’t take action by early next year, automatic cuts in vital services and income tax increases on the middle-class, will send the economy back into a tailspin.
In this showdown, the choices are clear: The More of the Same Agenda vs. A Path to Prosperity for Working Families.
The More of the Same Agenda:
- Keep the Bush tax cuts for income over $250,000 and open up new loopholes for corporations that ship jobs and profits overseas.
- Cut retirement and health security for seniors.
- Turn Medicare into a voucher for private insurance
- “Adjusting”Social Security by cutting earned benefits for middle-class seniors by 15 to 20 percent.
- Slashing vital services for our families: Pell grants for college; Head Start; Meals on Wheels; food stamps; unemployment insurance.
A Path to Prosperity for Working Families. 4 STEPS to revving up the middle-class engine to move our economy forward:
- FAIR TAXES: starting by ending the Bush tax cuts above $250,000, saving $1 trillion. That’s almost as much as all the automatic spending cuts.
- NO CUTS TO EARNED BENEFITS – Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid.
- PROTECT vital programs for our families.
- GOOD JOBS for America, building a 21st Century infrastructure, putting teachers and firefighters, caregivers and young people to work.
The showdown is coming. Please call your member of Congress and ask, “which side are you on?” Urge them to:
1) Raise taxes on those making over $250K.
2) Protect earned benefits like Medicare and Social Security from ANY cuts.
Find your Congressman at www.house.gov/representatives/find and call them ASAP!
- Congressman Phil Roe (R – 01) - (202) 225-6356
- Congressman John J. Duncan, Jr. (R – 02) - (202) 225-5435
- Congressman Chuck Fleischmann (R – 03) - (202) 225-327
- Congressman Scott DesJarlais (R – 04) - (202) 225-6831
- Congressman Jim Cooper (D – 05) - (202) 225-4311
- Congressman Diane Black (R – 06) - (202) 225-4231
- Congressman Marsha Blackburn (R – 07) - (202) 225-2811
- Congressman Stephen Fincher (R – 08) - (202) 225-4714
- Congressman Steve Cohen (D – 09) - (202) 225-3265