The Mysterious Convergence of March 26
Every once in a while there comes a day when events mysteriously converge. Tuesday, March 26, 2013 is one of those magical days. Won’t you spend it in Nashville at a hearing, an event, and another event lifting up your voice in solidarity with hardworking men and women from all over the state?
HEARING – Workers’ Comp Bill in Senate Finance Ways & Means Committee
ATTEND THE LATEST SENATE COMMITTEE HEARING ON
GOVERNOR’S PROPOSED CHANGES TO WORKERS’ COMP
- WHEN: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 at 8:00 AM
- WHERE: Legislative Plaza, 301 6th Ave. N (between Union St. & Charlotte Ave), Room 12
- WHO: Senate Finance Ways & Means Committee (see members here).
EVENT #1 – Rally to Protect TN Workers
MAKE YOUR VOICES HEARD! PROTECT TENNESSEE WORKERS!
JOIN US FOR A RALLY ON TUESDAY, MARCH 26!
WHEN: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 at 1:00 – 2:00 PM
WHERE: The stairs of the state capitol. The capitol building is located on Charlotte Ave., between 6th and 7th Avenues, in downtown Nashville.
WHY: Urge Governor Haslam to end his campaign to gut workers’ compensation in Tennessee. Governor Haslam is pushing changes to workers’ comp through the legislature that will:
- Cut insurance pay to workers when they are injured on the job.
- Create a new bureaucracy completely controlled by the Governor.
- Remove workers’ comp cases from Impartial court System.
- Allow employers to “throwaway” Injured employees.
WHO: Tennessee Citizen Action • AFL-CIO of Tennessee • Tennessee Citizen Action • Jackson Central Labor Council, AFL-CIO • Memphis AFL-CIO Labor Council • Central Labor Council of Nashville and Middle-Tennessee • USW Local 8195 • UAW Local 737 • IBEW Local 429 • Teamsters 486 • IAM & AW 735 • IBEW Local 474 • Memphis and West Tennessee Building and Construction Trades Council • Democrat Resource Center.(Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like your local or organization to be listed and represented at the rally.)
So far you have packed several legislative hearing rooms on Capitol Hill to let lawmakers know that we DO NOT WANT GOVERNOR BILL HASLAM’S PROPOSED CHANGES to workers’ comp. But it seems that they are not paying attention and today the proposed changes sailed though the House Government Operation Committee, 8 votes to 4. Now it’s time to DELIVER THE MESSAGE TO GOVERNOR HASLAM.
BEFORE YOU ATTEND, click here to contact the Governor and ask him to STOP PUSHING his changes to workers’ comp (HB194/SB200).
EVENT #2 – A Night with Danny Glover
WHAT: Concerned Students for a Better Nissan College Tour (watch video) brings actor and union supporter Danny Glover to speak in support of a fair election process at Nissan. Concerned Students for a Better Nissan College Tour is purposed with educating and mobilizing students in support of workers’ rights to organize and form a union.
WHEN: Tuesday, March 26, 2013, 6:00 – 7:30 PM
WHERE: Tennessee State University,T.E. Poag Auditorium, Walter S. Davis Humanities Building, 350 John A. Meritt Blvd., Nashville, TN
WHY: Mr. Glover will be in town to encourage our community to get behind Nissan Canton workers as they struggle to have equal access to hear about, and make informed decisions regarding, unions and union participation.
WHO: Mississippi Student Justice Alliance, Georgia Student Justice Alliance, Concerned Students for a Better Nissan. Follow on Twitter and onFacebook.
Go to DoBetterNissan.org for more info or contact Brad Bingham at (423) 383-7154.
- Make your PLANS now to spend the day in Nashville next Tuesday, March 26 and attend the Protect TN Workers’ rally and the College Tour for a Better Nissan.
- Share these FACEBOOK EVENTS with all your Facebook friends – Rally: http://www.facebook.com/events/152688031559073
College Tour: http://www.facebook.com/MsStudentJusticeAlliance
- TWEET THIS: “Rally to save Workers’ Comp in Tennessee! I’ll be there, will you? Tuesday, March 26, at 1:00 pm” and Concerned Students for a Better Nissan and @MsStudentJustice bring @mrdannyglover to @TSUedu Tuesday, 3/26, at 6:00 pm.”
- SEND EMAIL: Email your friends, family, co-workers, etc. and urge them to attend the rally and college tour.