PLEASE SHARE: The Big Picture in TN – Waste, Abuse & Mismanagement
THE TRUTH ABOUT TENNESSEE STATE GOVERNMENT
This week we’re starting off with a request – please share this short but time-sensitive email with as many of your friends, family, co-wokers across the state as you can. It’s beyond time to tell the truth about what’s happening in Tennessee state government!
WASTE, ABUSE & MISMANAGMENT
This week findings of the State Comptroller’s Single Audit Report detailing mismanagement, waste and abuse within the Department of Labor and Workforce Development have surfaced. Among the findings include overpayment of $73 million in jobless benefits, administrative delays that left employees bereft of an appeals process, and employers getting charged too much in unemployment premiums paid to the state.
From the report:
“The Department of Labor and Workforce Development’s management has threatened the integrity of the Unemployment Insurance Program by failing to provide sufficient internal controls and oversight….the department’s internal controls for the program were ineffective or nonexistent…efforts to review fraudulent claims and claims paid in error and to collect overpayments were also strained.”
CONNECTING THE DOTS
Governor Bill Haslam is pushing changes that will take workers’ comp claims out of the impartial court system and put them directly under the Department of Labor and Workforce Development (HB194 & SB200), beginning in 2014.
- The problems of waste, abuse, and mismanagement within the Department of Labor and Workforce Development negatively affect both Tennessee employees and employers.
- Now is not the time to add the responsibility of spending more tax dollars to the Department since it’s apparent that they are unable to do so wisely and effectively.
- Because the bill to create a new multi-million dollar division of workers’ compensation is his bill, is is too much to ask Govenor Haslam to put the brakes on this piece of legislation until he can reform the problems within the Department of Labor and Workforce Development – and until next year’s Single Audit Report confirms that reform?
- Is it too much to ask our state representatives that they put the brakes on this piece of legislation so workers who are injured on the job don’t get caught in the same whirlpool of mismanagement, waste and abuse that the unemployed have been sucked down into?!
CALL TO ACTION
- FORWARD THIS EMAIL! There are many ways to spread this email. First, you can use the SHARE THIS icons at the top. Or, copy and past it into an email and send along. You can also use this link to post on Facebook, Twitter, etc: http://www.tnca.org/2013/04/05/the-big-picture-in-tn-waste-fraud-abuse/
- CONTACT the Governor and your state representatives! Ask him to put the brakes on his workers’ comp bill until he cleans up the Department of Labor! Call the governor at (615) 741-2001or click here to send an email.
- Unemployment sent checks to the dead: http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130405/NEWS21/304050094/TN-sent-unemployment-checks-dead
- TN unemployment program problems cost business owners: http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130404/BUSINESS01/304040063/TN-unemployment-program-problems-cost-business-owners
- TN overpaid $73 million in jobless benefits: http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130329/BUSINESS01/303290072/TN-overpaid-73-million-jobless-benefits