Insure TN: The Time is NOW!
Tonight, Governor Haslam will lay out the details of his Insure TN plan – a plan to provide access to affordable health insurance to some 200,000 Tennesseans by expanding Medicaid.
The legislature is slated to act this week on the proposal.
Your action now can make a difference.
Here are some highlights of the plan:
What is Insure Tennessee?
Insure Tennessee is Governor Haslam’s plan to use federal dollars to help 200,000 Tennesseans get health care coverage. Tennesseans who are eligible for Insure Tennessee have two choices:
• The “Volunteer Plan” will help working families buy their employer’s insurance through financial assistance.
• The “Healthy Incentives Plan” will help families who are unemployed or who do not have insurance through their job get coverage through a new version of TennCare.
Both of these programs offer an affordable option for Tennesseans to get health insurance. Without Insure Tennessee, all of these people are left without health care.
Who Would Insure Tennessee Help?
Insure Tennessee would allow 200,000 Tennesseans to gain access to affordable health care coverage. The most vulnerable among us can’t afford the support they need to get healthy and stay healthy.
These Tennesseans include
• working Tennesseans with minimum wage jobs—waitresses, janitors, and short order cooks, for example
• 17,000 Veterans who can’t get VA benefits
• college students whose parents don’t have insurance
• people who could get back to work if they could get healthy again
In important ways, all Tennesseans will benefit from Insure Tennessee. Four hospitals have already closed in Tennessee because sick people without insurance can’t pay their bills. Hundreds more hospitals all around Tennessee are at risk. Insure Tennessee would allow hospitals to stay open.
What Can YOU Do?
The state legislature will vote on the plan in the first week of February — That’s THIS WEEK!
Unless our state House of Representatives and our State Senate approve the plan, many working Tennesseans will remain without health insurance. You have the power to make the difference.
Contact your Senator and Representative TODAY. Ask for their support for Insure Tennessee. Call today.
Reach out to your friends and neighbors. Let them know the critical importance of Insure Tennessee. Let them know why it will be good for all Tennesseans, and all Tennessee communities. Ask them to make a call to their Legislators too.
Find your legislator: capitol.tn.gov/legislators
To stay up to date on healthcare access and other important consumer issues, follow @TNCitizenAction